Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The True Master of Lightning Bolts...

“What is the way to the abode of light?
And where does darkness reside?

Can you take them to their places?
Do you know the paths to their dwellings?...

...Does the rain have a father?
Who fathers the drops of dew?...

...Can you bind the chains of the Pleiades?

Can you loosen Orion’s belt?
Can you bring forth the constellations in their seasons

or lead out the Bear with its cubs?...

...Can you raise your voice to the clouds

and cover yourself with a flood of water?
Do you send the lightning bolts on their way?
Do they report to you, ‘Here we are’?...

...Who can tip over the water jars of the heavens
when the dust becomes hard
and the clods of earth stick together?"
(Taken from Job 38)

About a year ago, I did a study of Job. It was appropriate for the time. However, I do not think I fully grasped the message of the book until this past month. It might have helped if I had dove into the study with the intention of finding purpose through suffering and healing through God. I may or may not have approached the study with the intent of finding company for my misery through Job. A year later, I am glad that I am finally catching on.

Who can deny that this book reminds us of the profound comparison between mortal and God. We loosen our belts after we have had too many snacks at the Superbowl party. God can loosen the belt of Orion just because He feels like it. Who are we as His creations to question his authority? But that is not the only matter, who are we to question His control? He has mapped out the universe, he has built a manor for light, and every element reports to Him. I am willing to bet that He knows what He is doing.

If you are like me, you fight every day for that control. If I want things done right, I have to take matters into my own hands... right? Well, sometimes I think Satan plants that in my mind, just so he can sit back and watch my plans and I self destruct. I am his little object of entertainment for the day (well, most days.) But when I let go and trust God's plan, well, that is where I find the healing.

Victor Frankl, a light amongst many prisoners at concentration camps, said that we're all trees in a story about a forest, and that it is arrogant of us to believe any differently, and that the story of the forest is better than the story of the tree.

It is a practice everyday to let go and remember that God has a better story for us, and that if we just hang in there, we might come out as a better person with a greater blessing and more to give to others. But I have been working on it. I have learned a lot so far. Mostly, life is so much easier and relaxing without a constant fight for control.

No comments:

Post a Comment