Saturday, August 20, 2011

Essentially, we are Judas.

Lately, there have been a lot of things going on in my life. But amidst getting prepared for the fall semester, dealing with difficult people, and dealing with wonderful people...one thing stands true throughout it all. I came to this passage a few months ago, and I came across it again today. I've always heard and believed that God will bring us back to something over and over again to prove His point. I suppose He's doing that. Because here I am at Matthew 26, once again. And I've most certainly dealt with this issue lately. I guess for me, God's just pointing out that I need to shower others with the love, grace, and mercy that Christ has shown me...despite what wrong they have done to me.


"Now the betrayer had arranged a signal with them: “The one I kiss is the man; arrest him.” Going at once to Jesus, Judas said, “Greetings, Rabbi!” and kissed him. Jesus replied, "friend, Do what you came for." Then the men stepped forward, seized Jesus and arrested him." -Matthew 26:48-50


I suppose that I have always overlooked the importance of this passage. So often Jesus addresses people-disciples, family and friends, prostitutes, tax collectors, etc.- with terms of endearment. Here, however, He calls His betrayer "friend" .


All too often we disown others, whether intentional or not, for trivial things. She didn't like my opinion so I'm going to ignore her. They got upset when I didn't do what they wanted, so forget them! He poked fun at my speech, so he's not cool in my book.


The example Jesus sets here, is the epitome of what love is supposed to mean. He calls even those who have Him murdered, friend. He calls those who consider Him less than a bag of silver, friend. Yet, even with the perfect example, we write off those who we don't necessarily like for petty reasons.


Essentially, we are Judas. We betray Him on a daily basis. We abuse His grace and love. We take advantage of His mercy. Yet He still showers us with His grace, love, and mercy. Who can say that we aren't to show that same love and forgiveness to others who do wrong in our own eyes?


No one is perfect, and I don't think we are expected to be. But that doesn't mean that we cannot try. Which we are expected to do--to give 100% effort in loving one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment