Sunday, August 21, 2011

Seeds and Thorns.

I think we sow seeds everyday. In Sunday school, I kind of had this idea that the parable of the sower was only applicable at the time of accepting Christ. Who knows; maybe I was too busy playing with the felt board, looking at the boy sitting next to me, or focusing on the snacks that they give you to shut you up before story time. At the time, however, I missed the point. I think we sow seeds everyday.

When I was reading the parable today, I realized that I might not be sowing my seeds in good soil. It is so easy to get caught up in the motions of the Christian walk. Am I living right? Check. Am I reading my Bible? Check. Am I praying? Check. Am I handing over all my worries and desires to God? ...Uh, oops! I might have forgotten about that one... That is a tough one for me.

"The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful." -Matthew 13:22

I have not been sowing my seeds on good soil, because I have let my worries smother me. The worries of school, work, money, and relationships have smothered me. I am sure a lot of you college students can agree.

I do not have much else to say about it, because I think this pretty much sums it all up.

"Look up at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable then they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? ...See how the lilies of the field grow? They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the feild, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? ...For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them." -Taken from Matthew 6

No comments:

Post a Comment