Sunday, January 22, 2012

Breaking the Stereotype.

I belong to a group of people known as "Christians". I am a Christian. It's all I've ever known and it's all I'll ever be.

Meet my friend Jennifer. She has a unique style about her. Pink hair, high-top sneakers, heavy coated eyeliner and a lip ring is what she portrays in her outward appearance. She digs it. She says she likes to look and express herself differently than all the "normal" girls she sees day after day. Jennifer has a heart that is on fire for God. He has blessed her with so many talents; one of them being singing. She writes the most beautiful and moving songs that I've ever heard. She says that is what God is calling her to do and that its her purpose to lead others through worship.

The church Jennifer attends does not agree with her style and composure. The elders say she is a bad example to the young girls and don't give her the time of day. The girls in her youth group that make fun of her skinny jeans and "off the wall" hairstyles don't realize what kind of damage they do to her heart and confidence. No one accepts her as she is because she isn't perfectly polished and pressed in her polo shirts and designer handbags. Her passion as a child was to sing for her church praise team when she finally got old enough but her spirit has been broken and tarnished by the so called "Christians" her church congregation has claimed to be. She feels like she's not worth anything.

Meet my friend Jennifer. Today, she committed suicide. She couldn't take the pressure of peoples words and remarks so she's left this world with unfufilled dreams and a wasted purpose. Jennifer's story made me question myself... Do I, as a Christian, treat others like the Christians in Jennifer's life treated her? What is a Christians purpose? Is it just a cliche steryotype that everyone joins as an easy way out?

I want REAL Christians. I want a Christian who doesn't judge those who choose to standout. When new people "try out" church, I want a Christian who won't shove their knowledge of redemption down their throats but instead will be open minded to people who think different things. I want a Christian who practices what they preach. One that leads people to God by testifying His love for them in place of instiling the fear of dying and going to hell if they don't have a relationship with God.

I want a Christian who isn't afraid to have fun. A Christian who breaks all steryotypes and has passion for everything they do. I want a Christian who accepts that we ALL make mistakes and doesn't live life behind a fake smile... who may slip the "F" word when they stub their toe but where their heart's at is greater than the simple four letter word they cursed. I want a Christian who fills the void of drugs and alcohol with God's unconditional love inside of them. One that believes God made them exactly who and how they are for a reason and shouldn't second guess their own life.

I want Christian relationships that work. That last, happily ever after, because they fell in love with God before they fell in love with each other. I want a Christian who wants to wait and have sex until marriage but know that even if they don't or didn't, that they can be pure again in Gods eyes, 100%. I want a Christian boy who can withstand the worldly temptations because they know that the wait is worth it in the end and a Christian girl who knows she's loved and respected by a man without giving herself away.

Also, I want a Christian who hears this, reads it for what it's worth, and doesn't tune me out because they think they already have all the answers. Instead, they take a look into their own lives and realize they're Christians but sinners, too. I want a Christian who realizes there is no such thing as a perfect Christian because I'm living proof of one and I'm imperfect, too.

I'm an imperfect Christian, living an imperfect life, doing my best to glorify Christ daily. I stumble and I make mistakes, but no matter what I do...I know that my Savior will be right there with His arms open wide; no matter what stereotype other's place me under.

No comments:

Post a Comment