Friday, January 20, 2012

Job 14:14

I am aware that it has been a hot minute since I last blogged, but don't worry I haven't abandoned you. It has been a very busy week, to say the least. So much has been going on and so much has been on my mind, I haven't really made the time to just type it all out and express my thoughts. That being said, I'm going to do exactly that. (Attempt to do so, anyway)

For the past few days I have been in one of those "grumpy" moods, if you will, because in one of my classes we have talked a lot about cancer. This would normally be fine but it's caused me to think about my grandpa's dealings and it has brought back a lot of painful memories. I know that for those who have ever had to sit through one of my depressing episodes of grief over my grandpa's death...it is a rough spot to be in and I sincerely appreciate your willingness to listen. But what bothers me is that rather than just letting me grieve and then go about my business (seeing as how I have a happiness rebound rate of about 3 minutes) a person or two will pull out their Bible and read Philippians 3:13 to me...

"One thing I do: forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead..."

Now, I appreciate their attempts to make me feel better but I think they are confusing Paul's words in this passage. I believe that the well-meaning Christians take this phrase out of context about "forgetting what is behind" and apply it as a command from scripture to never look at the past. But that is not what Paul is saying here. Paul was talking about the "trophies" he had to leave behind to follow Christ. ...The Bible clearly expresses what a good and effective teacher the past can be. But only if we approach it as a good student, from the perspective of what we can gain and how we can use it for His glory.

Thankfully though, there is another passage that someone brought to my attention that is much more suited to grieving.

"When a man dies, will he come back to life? If so, I would wait all the days of my struggle until my relief comes." -Job 14:14

Thank goodness the loss of someone never has to mean the end of abundant, effective, or even joyful life for a person. These things may seem to pause momentarily while grief takes its course, but those who allow their hearts to be bound by Christ will experience these again. Our Savior is the God of resurrection life; no matter what kind of death has occurred to a believer. When our hearts have been shattered by loss and sadness, we have the opportunity to welcome a special power into our lives--the power to live again on this Earth when we would rather die.

Needless to say, I am feeling much better tonight knowing that even though I still have random spouts of grief; if I allow my heart to be bound by Christ...I will experience true happiness and fulfillment. Maybe not right this second, but eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment