Saturday, July 23, 2011

Say what?

"Disturb me, God.
Challenge my complacent comfort.
Stir me.
Shake me from my ambivalence.
Storm on me if necessary.
...but don't allow me to sit unmoved by life in your presence."

You know those days where your cat/dog is craving for your attention but they are just getting on your very last nerve? You ignore them for a while, and almost forget that they are there... until you take the stairs. This is when they get right under your feet, racing you to the top of the stairs, resulting in you falling on your butt or dropping everything in your hands out of fright. Haha, got your attention. (I always end up scolding them, only to love on them half way through.) That is exactly how I came upon this quote today. Convenient, huh? God does not always use subtle hints to get my attention, because I am usually too busy or caught up with my own tasks (or just being plain stubborn) to notice. So... He has to trip me. I imagine once He finally gets my attention, the same accomplished expression on my pet's face is also on His face.

I stumbled upon this quote taped on the inner-lining of my Bible. I have so many notes, cards, and pictures taped on the lining of my Bible and journals that I hardly take any of the messages in. I end up ignoring them, and forgetting their meanings. I cannot even remember where this particular quote came from or who said it (I am terribly sorry if you said it... You'll get your credit in Heaven.) However, it jumped out at me today and grabbed my attention.

Is it not funny- how we go about our routines and the intricacies of our lives and it all just becomes so... blah?

Life in His presence is the farthest thing from "blah"; it is extraordinary. It is unprecedented. It is marvelous. It is resplendent.

I do not know about you, but I often sit unmoved by God. Maybe this prayer should be engraved to my mind, heart, and soul rather than taped to the inner-lining of my Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment