Sunday, August 11, 2013

One Sixty Eight

One sixty eight. This three digit number signifies a paradigm shift in how we must order ourselves. 168 represents the number of hours in the seven day-way of life, we know commonly as a “week”. With roots more than three millennia long, this succession series of seven sunrises and sunsets dictates so much of what we accomplish and how we see ourselves. So often, the hustlers and bustlers among us find ourselves slaves to the clock, bound and shackled to the spinning hands of time, waiting for each workday to end, for the dreadful alarm to go off in the morning, for the weekend to finally arrive. We may in fact spend as much time clock-watching—either waiting for time to pass or wishing it would march on more slowly, than we actually do filling those moments with production, profound action or passion. Hyper-aware of this fact, conscious of my own mortality and our fleeting time here, I’ve tried to change the way I think about things. I enter each week with 168 hours at my disposal. In that time, I must tend to my responsibilities and do what must be done. A full work week may require 60 hours of my time. What remains is still 108 hours for me to do with as I must, and as I please. From here I must balance everything else in my life, finding a place suitable to be among those I love, to learn and be stimulated, to pursue my goals, to train, and lastly, to sleep. When I hear someone say that they “don’t have time”, I shake my head and pray that I won’t ever let that be me. There are 168 hours in your week, and what you will make time for is that which is a true priority to you, in your heart. If you can’t carve a few of that 168 out in service to someone or something, then it honestly can’t be all that important to you. I want to produce and create, to fill those 168 hours with as much living as I can… To be on fire with the fury of unbridled enthusiasm and inspiration, always. Forever I’ll find time for my dream and for that which makes my soul sing. I’ve gotta make this one sixty eight count, as I just can’t live with a week that is so weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment