Friday, March 30, 2012

Rue-thless.

It has been about a week since I last posted and I would just like to talk about "The Hunger Games" one last time...for a while.

First I'll just say that I finally got to watch "The Hunger Games" and it did not disappoint! I highly suggest that you go see it and if you have already seen it, go watch it a second time. :) It was that good.

Now, I must say my favorite part in the movie was not what I thought it would be. When I read the books, I almost cried when Rue was killed. And I knew that when that part happened in the movie I would hate it...but I didn't. That was actually my favorite scene. Before you judge me for lacking a soul, please continue to read. For those of you who haven't seen the movie yet: Katniss and Rue had just started an alliance and on her way back to find Rue, Katniss hears screaming and she finds Rue while she's caught in a trap. But just as she saves her and is telling her that she is safe, another tribute attacks Rue...and Katniss, of course, kills that tribute. As Rue is dying, Katniss sings a song to her and places flowers around her after she passes. This part was definitely sad...not as sad as when I read it in the book (but I knew it was coming...so I had prepared myself). But this scene led up to my favorite part of the movie.

In the book you don't really have any knowledge of what trouble Katniss's actions during the games cause until the end, which really it's not even until the next book. But in the movie after Katniss's "proper burial" if you will, District 11 loses it. They rebel against the Capitol, tearing down the stages built by the Capitol, fighting the guards, etc. That for me was the most moving scene...probably just because of the fact that the little girl's name was Rue and District 11 was ruthless in their actions against the Capitol at that point. They showed absolutely no mercy, and maybe that's just a weird connection that I made...

I'm sure the producers of the movie only did this as a way to lead into the making of the next movie, because if you've read "Catching Fire" you know of the rebellion that's taking place against the Capitol. So this for me was just one of those powerful moments in the movie. But without ruining any more details of "Catching Fire" let me just remind you that this time around is the Quarter Quell and as always...May the odds be ever in your favor. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment